- 1 lb white potato
- 1 lb carrot
- 1 lb rutabaga
- 1 small apple
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg (optional)
- Peel the rutabaga and cut into chunks (~1/2")
- Put it in a large pot with plenty of water and bring it to a boil.
- Chop carrots to a similar size and add after rutabaga has cooked 10 mins.
- Chop potatoes and apple into pieces (larger is fine - peel 1st if you prefer, but not necessary)
- When the rutabaga has been cooking for 20 minutes (total) add the potatoes & apple, and cook for about another 20 minutes.
- When all the vegetables are tender, drain them and mash them with the butter, salt and pepper.
- Mashed coarsely is great, OR
- Purée them very well, beat in the egg, and turn them into a buttered casserole dish, dot with more butter, then bake until lightly toasted on top.