Urgent Action Alert from the National Farmers Union-Ontario: Stop the release of GM Alfalfa!
12 noon to 1 pm
Kitchener Waterloo rally: 22 King St South, Uptown Waterloo.
Outside MP Peter Braid's constituency office.
Flyers and posters are attached, and can be found here.
Why is Stopping GM Alfalfa Urgent?
Monsanto’s genetically modified (GM) alfalfa could be registered for use in Eastern Canada this April. GM Roundup Ready alfalfa varieties have just been cleared for the last step before they hit the market – all they need now is a final registration rubber-stamp by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency. The Canadian Seed Trade Association and its corporate members, including Monsanto, Pioneer, and Forage Genetics International, are also actively trying to get support for the release of GM alfalfa.
- Come out on April 9! You can find out what actions are happening in your community at www.cban.ca/april9 . Bring your friends and family!
- Help spread the word about April 9 to groups in your community and ask them to get involved. Publicize the action in your community by putting up posters, handing out flyers, and posting through email and facebook.
- Contact media in your community to tell them about the Day of Action and encourage them to cover the rallies.
- Collect signatures on the petition to stop GM alfalfa and bring them to your MP on April 9. See www.cban.ca/alfalfapetition
- Order GM Alfalfa action postcards for distribution in your community by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org